ð¥ Category: E-commerce
The data suggest them pages of informative content help to classify better the consultations search with commercial aims.
The true value of the informative content for the SEO of the electronic commerce is often difficult to try. Some drug dealers of contents and SEO are convinced that the informative content can serve as assets worthy to be connected that will attract natural connections from other websites. One assumes that the acquired connections will help to improve the yield of the SEO of all the store online.
Antecedents: Strategy and yield of the SEO
The site of electronic commerce that we are seeing in this study of case was sent for the first time in 2011, but the present strategy of SEO was only implemented in 2017. In summary, it consists of the following activities:
Technical SEO: To do that the content of the website (60,000 pages of products and 80 pages of categories) is trackingable and indexable for the web search engines. Great attention to the improvement of the speed of the page for the users and the dredges of the web search engines.
Content: To reorganize the existing pages of informative content and to add other new ones. To add contextual internal liaisons of informative content to the pages of the category
To eliminate all the pages of informative content
Approximately 25 pages of informative content were removed and URLs was redirigidos to the main page of the store. The redirections were not implemented with the hope of which the ranking were transferred to the home page. In a desperate situation, to establish redirections instead of 404 or 410 codes of S-state a spontaneous decision without no specific motivation. More changes in the store in the weeks previous and later to the elimination did not become of the informative content.
Impact in the classification of the webpage
During the first days after the pages of informative content were eliminated, Google seemed to be quite indulgent. Some of the URL of the eliminated pages stayed in the ranking although they redirigan all the traffic to the main page of the store. This could also be due to the fact that the pages they were not tracked immediately, reason why Google took a time in detecting and processing all the changes.
Ten days after the content was eliminated, all the classifications of the directory that previously contained the pages of informative content had disappeared completely:
Peculiarly, the general visibility of the domain also underwent a serious blow, with losses much majors that the visibility of the eliminated directory. In three weeks after the elimination of the pages of informative content, the store was lost almost a third of its general visibility, although the eliminated content previously only constituted approximately 1% of the visibility of the domain:
The page of home and several pages of categories lost great part of their classification in page 1 for the searches of commercial intention with high volumes search. The following screenshot of the report of changes in the ranking of Sistrix shows an extract of the most important ranking that they lost themselves after the pages of informative content were eliminated:
They are the falls of ranking and the losses of visibility of the page of home and the pages of categories directly related to the elimination of the pages of informative content and, if yes, how and why?
Possible reasons for the fall of the classification
The most convincing theory of why the ranking of the page of home and the pages of categories they fell after the pages of informative content were eliminated is related to the connections. As it were mentioned previously, the pages of informative content had a good amount of connections of other domains that aimed at them. Within his content, also there were contextual connections that aimed at the page of home and the pages of categories, that assumed that they transmitted the relevance of the backward movement connections that aimed at the pages of informative content to pages that could take care of more commercial intentions search.
After the elimination of the pages of informative content, the backward movement bonds that aimed at them lost all their relevance and the internal bonds who also aimed of the pages of informative content at other pages of the domain were lost completely.
Nevertheless, there are other factors that could play a role and also there are some incognitos that must be approached.
The URL of the pages of informative content was redirigidos to the main page, which probably causes that the backward movement bonds that aim no longer at the original pages pass all their relevance to the objectives of the redirection, since its content is completely different from the tie pages originally. The civil servers of Google have confirmed that the redireccionamientos to less excellent pages can be treated as the calls soft 404.
The question that arises is if this situation had been developed differently if the URL of the pages of informative content had given back 404 or 410 codes of state instead of redirigirlos to the home page. Lose less would relevance a bond of backward movement to a page 404 or a URL that gives back a code of state 410 that a soft 404 caused by a redirection to a noncoincident objective?
It would seem that in this case in particular, there would not be difference if the pages gave back a code of state 404 or 410 instead of redirigir to the home page. The only way to save something of the relevance of the backward movement bonds could have been to redirigir each URL removed to a similar piece of content, which was not an option in this case.
Also it could be tempting to connect this case with theories on the topical relevance of all the domain or with the most recent fashionable word of SEO E-A-T. It would be possible to be argued that the informative content has a value in itself that goes beyond the backward movement bonds and the internal liaisons that transmit the relevance to the commercial pages. Although these ideas do not have to discard completely, they are quite vague and still more difficult to try.
Another incognito that must be approached is the external factors that could have influenced in the classification of the website. The changes of classification that took place after the pages of informative content retired could be coincident and not to be directly related to the elimination of the content. It is always difficult to exclude the possibility that completely the changes or updates of the algorithms of Google they are the true cause of the observed changes of classification.
Recovery after adding the content again
Three weeks after putting all the pages of informative content in its place, the general visibility of the website has recovered completely and has returned to the level that it had before the pages of informative content were eliminated. The pages of the main page and the pages of categories recovered the majority of the first positions in the consultations of commercial intention that they had before the elimination of the content, except for some slight changes that are within the habitual rank that would be expected in a period of six weeks, due to the normal fluctuations and to the seasonality.
- What we learn of this case?
- The main conclusion of the observation of this case is that the data suggest them firmly pages of informative content help to that the page of home and the pages of categories is classified better for the consultations with commercial aims.
- The exact distribution of the factors follows without being clear, but it seems probable that the connections of other domains that aim at the pages of informative content along with the internal liaisons that aim from the pages of informative content at the commercial pages play an important role in the improvement of the yield SEO of the commercial pages.
- A site of electronic commerce with 60,000 pages of products, 80 pages of categories and 25 pages of informative content eliminated all the pages of informative content and redirigi³ the URL the home page.
- Before their elimination, the pages of informative content only generated 2.36% of the sales through organic traffic search, but a significant part of backlinks of the domain aimed at them.
- After the elimination of the pages of informative content, the store lost near a third of its general visibility, since the page of home and the pages of categories most of lost their classification in the consultations search with commercial aims.
- Around three weeks later, the informative content was put again, with the purpose of trying if the falls in the ranking really were related to the elimination of the content.
- Other three weeks later, the visibility of the domain recovered completely and the pages of the main page and the categories recovered their good classifications for the consultations search with commercial aims.
- The data suggest them pages of informative content help indeed to that the page of home and the pages of categories is classified better for the consultations search with commercial aims.